Thursday, June 2, 2011

Prize for Pink?

I didn't realize that there was such a reward for having baby girls instead of baby boys. While pregnant with Cash, I received the sporatic comment like "oh well, maybe a girl next time" or things along those lines. It wasn't until I got pregnant with baby boy #2 that I have received a barrage of comments about having another boy. Before we found out that he was a boy, I would get frequent comments like "I hope it's a girl" or "how nice it would be if you got one of each". Sure, in a perfect world, everyone would get to experience raising a boy and a girl. However, I feel extremely fortunate to have two children regardless of their sex.

I recently got a comment from a CLOSE FAMILY MEMBER to baby brother that really got under my skin. This nameless person, told me "well I am still holding out that the ultrasound is wrong and it's a girl." WHY????? Are we all less fortunate because this makes another boy for the family? Do we not win some sort of contest for not getting one of each? Will this baby boy be loved any less because he is boy #2? NO.

At the mall today I ran into some people that I have known for some time. We aren't particularly close, but exchange Christmas cards every year and run into eachother on occasion. They didn't know I was expecting, and asked if we knew what this baby was. When I told her it was another boy, her response was "Oh I'm sorry"....HUH? Why would you be sorry that I am having another boy? I most certainly am not. And what kind of comment is that anyway? I wouldn't ever imagine saying that to someone. What happened to the good ol fashioned "Congratulations"?

Even though I grew up dancing my entire childhood, and it would be great to experience that with a girl of my own, I am looking forward to all my life with two sweet little boys will bring. Those first T-Ball games and going shopping for baseball mits and cleets. Our house is filled with all kinds of sporting stuff, toy shotguns and cars that magically make noise when a certain little boy pushes them around the floor.

So I ask, is their a prize for seeing pink instead of blue? Most certainly not, in my opinion.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers